The agriculture sector provides profitable opportunities considering the bountiful natural resources and vast arable lands in the Philippines. The continuous development of the sector led to the production of various agricultural commodities. Today, agriculture is not only restricted to conventional food commodities, but also produces non-food products such as biofuels, pharmaceuticals, and chemicals. Investors can also choose from a wide range of agricultural activities such as farming, post-harvesting, food processing or manufacturing, wholesaling, and retailing where they can specialize.
(Source: Agriculture and Fisheries Market Information System (AFMIS))
High Demand – most agricultural commodities are basic necessities which offer steady demand and a large market both local and abroad.
Vast Natural Resources – the Philippines is made up of expansive agricultural lands and natural resources which are necessary inputs.
Large Supply of Labor – majority of individuals situated in rural areas are engaged in agricultural activities.
High Production Cost – Despite of the recent developments, the cost of raw materials in producing agricultural commodities is higher than the cost in neighboring countries.
Low Technology – the Philippines remains to be less competitive in agricultural technology relative to other countries.
The Department of Science and Technology-Philippine Council for Agriculture, Aquatic, and Natural Resources Research and Development (DOST-PCAARRD) (http://www.pcaarrd.dost.gov.ph) publishes investment briefs on various agricultural products to encourage overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and their families to invest in agriculture. The pamphlets contain investment opportunities in the agriculture, aquatic, and natural resources sectors, which highlight benefits, products, capital and material requirements, and profit.
- Agricultural Inputs IB 2007 (0.5mb)
- Invest in Dairy Cattle Farming 2010 (1.3mb)
- Invest in Goat Farming IB 2007 in Goat Farming IB 2007 in Goat Farming IB 2007 (0.5mb)
- Invest in Lakatan Production IB 2007 in Lakatan Production IB 2007 in Lakatan Production IB 2007 (0.5mb)
- Invest in Orchid Production IB 2007 in Orchid Production IB 2007 in Orchid Production IB 2007 (0.4mb)
- Invest in Organic Vegetable Production IB 2007 in Organic Vegetable Production IB 2007 (0.4mb)
- Invest in Sinta Papaya Production IB 2007 in Sinta Papaya Production IB 2007 (1.4mb)
- Invest in Slaughter Native Chicken 2009 in Slaughter Native Chicken 2009 (3.8mb)
- Invest in Slaughter Pig Production IB 2007 in Slaughter Pig Production IB 2007 (0.5mb)
- Malapapaya 2009 (3.6mb)
Another publication line from DOST-PCAARRD are profitability analyses which primarily target farmers, growers, and small and micro enterprises. It aims to help entrepreneurs effectively plan their project through giving a set of assumptions. It also presents science and technology-based production techniques, background of the industry, and technical and financial assumptions.
- 25 Dairy Cow Module Cow Module (3.2mb)
- PA 25 Doe Level Slaughter Goat Production 2013 25 Doe Level Slaughter Goat Production 2013 (10.2mb)
- PA Abaca Fiber Production 2007 Abaca Fiber Production 2007 Abaca Fiber Production 2007 (1.4mb)
- PA Bamboo Shoo t& Pole Production 2007 Bamboo Shoo t& Pole Production 2007 (2.0mb)
- PA Buffalo Milk Production 2007 Buffalo Milk Production 2007 (6.0mb)
- PA Coconut Sap Sugar Production Module 2010 Coconut Sap Sugar Production Module 2010 (4.2mb)
- PA Commercial Production of Organic Fertilizer 2014 Commercial Production of Organic Fertilizer 2014 (0.5mb)
- PA Goat Production 2007 Goat Production 2007 (3.0mb)
- PA Ilang ilang Flower Production 2007 Ilang ilang Flower Production 2007 (2.2mb)
- PA Native Chicken Production 2007 Native Chicken Production 2007 (3.0mb)
- PA Organic Cucumber Production 2007 Organic Cucumber Production 2007 (1.2mb)
- PA Organic Lettuce Production 2007 Organic Lettuce Production 2007 (1.1mb)
- PA Organic Tomato Production 2007 Organic Tomato Production 2007 (0.9mb)
- PA Ornamental Bamboo Backyard Production 2007 Ornamental Bamboo Backyard Production 2007 (2.0mb)
- PA 25 Dairy Cow Module 2010 Cow Module 2010 (30.2mb)