WHAT IS THE PROGRAM AND WHO IS A BALIK SCIENTIST?
The Balik Scientist Program (BSP) of the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) encourages Filipino scientists, technologists, and experts to return to the country and share their expertise in order to promote scientific, agro-industrial, and economic development. The BSP also aims to support and strengthen the scientific and technological human resources in the Philippines.
A Balik Scientist is a science and technology expert who is a Filipino citizen or a foreigner of Filipino descent, residing abroad and contracted by the Government to return and work in the Philippines along his/her field of expertise.
PRIORITY AREAS OF THE PROGRAM
Agriculture and Food, Biotechnology, Disaster Mitigation and Management, Environment and Natural Resources, Electronics, Energy, Genomics, Health, ICT, Manufacturing, Nanotechnology, and Semiconductors.
QUALIFICATIONS OF BALIK SCIENTIST APPLICANTS
• He/She must be of Filipino origin or descent, and is based abroad.
• He/She must have made an outstanding contribution in his/her field of specialization
• He/She must be in good health.
• He/She must be a holder of a graduate degree and must have practiced his/her profession for not less than three (3) years after obtaining his/her masters or doctorate degree.
A Balik Scientist Applicant without a graduate degree but with a highly specialized skill may be qualified on special cases as long as his/her field of expertise must be consistent with the science and technology (S&T) priorities promulgated by the DOST.
- For Both Short Term and Long Term Categories
- Accomplishedand Signed BSP Form 1
- Endorsement letter from the Host Institution(s)
- Medical Certificate
- PRC Clearance
- Copy of passport of BSP applicant
- Copy of diploma or transcript of record or certificate of academic achievement(s) from a credible local or international public/private institution/association
- Detailed/Updated Curriculum Vitae to include the following:
- Educational Background
- Field of Specialization
- Areas of Research Interest
- Professional/Employment/Work History including significant scientific, technological and/or entrepreneurial activities undertaken
- Significant achievements (up to 3) made related to your expertise or profession
- Relevant trainings
- Fellowship or Grants
- For Short Term Category only
- proposed Terms of Reference (TOR) with clearly defined expected outputs/deliverables and detailed schedule of activities, submitted in concurrence with the host institution(s)
- for subsequent visit, a detailed Program Framework or Road Map on what will be accomplished
- For Long Term Category only
- detailed Quarterly Activity Plan, and Statement of Research when applicable, submitted in concurrence with the host institution(s)
FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE REFER TO THIS LINK TO THE BALIK SCIENTIST WEBSITE.