Obtain Business Licenses & Permits (Register your Business)

The Small Enterprise Knowledge Center provides a complete guide in starting and managing a business. Through the basic business modules, the Center aims to equip you with knowledge on the key aspects of a business. All materials published in the Center were based from the U.S. Small Business Administration website (www.sba.gov) and adapted to suit the local Philippine situation and laws.

Obtain Business Licenses & Permits
(Register your Business)

Are you thinking about starting a business of your own? Explore the modules below to learn the aspects of starting a business and find ways on how to succeed.

Every business requires a license or a permit to operate legally. Each is supervised and regulated by various government agencies. However, license and permit requirements vary depending on the type of business you want to operate.




To help you determine the specific license or permit your business needs, the following are government agencies that facilitate business registration.


1. Department of Trade and Industry

DTI requires single proprietors to register their business with them in order to gain exclusive rights to your business name. You can register at any DTI Regional or Provincial office or apply online at www.bnrs.dti.gov.ph.


2. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)

The SEC registers a partnership or a corporation to establish them as legal or judicial entity.


Register at:
SEC Building, Edsa, Greenhills, Mandaluyong City
Tel. Nos.: (+632) 726.0931 to 39
Email: mis@sec.gov.ph
Website: www.sec.gov.ph
or http://iregister.sec.gov.ph/MainServlet (for online registration)


3. Cooperative Development Authority (CDA)

The CDA requires all cooperatives to register in fulfillment of Republic Act 6938/6939.


Register at:
Cooperative Development Authority (CDA)
6/F Benlor Building, 1184 Quezon Avenue, Quezon City
Tel. No.: (+632) 373.6895
Website: www.cda.gov.ph


4. Local Government

The local government is in-charge of accrediting all types of businesses regardless of their legal form. They require businesses to secure a mayor’s permit or municipal license from the city or municipality where they are located. However, registration procedures vary across cities and municipalities.


5. Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)

The BIR facilitates the registration of businesses for tax purposes. It provides them with tax identification number (TIN) and allows them to print receipt, invoices, and other related documents.


Register at:
Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR)
BIR National Office, Agham Road, Diliman, Quezon City
Trunkline: (+632) 981.7000 / 981.8888
Email: contact_us@cctr.bir.gov.ph
Website: www.bir.gov.ph


6. Social Security System (SSS)

Businesses, as employer, are required to register with the SSS for the benefits of their employees.


Register at:
Social Security System (SSS)
SSS Building, East Avenue, Diliman, Quezon City
Tel. Nos.: (+632) 920.6401 / 920.6446
Email: member_relations@sss.gov.ph
Website: www.sss.gov.ph


7. Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)

The DOLE obliges businesses with fifty or more employees to register with them. The agency monitors business compliance with labor regulations. Specifically, the Bureau of Local Employment administers the registration of these businesses.


Register at:

Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE)
2/F, Dy International Building, San
Marcelino cor. Gen. Malvar St., Malate, Manila
Tel. Nos.: (+632) 339.2013 / 527.8000
Email: osec@dole.gov.ph
Website: www.dole.gov.ph


8. Local Government

Check with the Mayor’s Permit Office of your municipality or city.

Business registration is now made simpler. Below is an infographic released by DTI to guide you in the process of obtaining business license and permit for partnerships.